Re: xml semantics

From: "Geoff Chappell" <geoff@sover.net>
Subject: xml semantics
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 15:43:59 -0400

> I've been thinking recently about the relationship between rdf and xml. It
> would be cool if there could be some sort of "semantic reunification" of the
> two down the road. Has there been any/much work to provide a formal
> semantics for xml in terms of rdf (now that rdf is getting it's own that
> is)?

[...]

> Anybody have any thoughts along these lines?
>
> -Geoff Chappell

You might want to look at two papers that Jerome Simeon and I wrote, ``The
Yin/Yang Web: XML Syntax and RDF Semantics'', presented at WWW2002, and
``Building the Semantic Web on XML'', presented at ISWC2002.

They can be found at

 http://www-db.research.bell-labs.com/user/pfps/papers/yin-yang.pdf
 http://www-db.research.bell-labs.com/user/pfps/papers/building.ps

A marked-up abstract for the second paper can be found at

 http://www-db.research.bell-labs.com/user/pfps/papers/building-abstract.html

Peter F. Patel-Schneider
Bell Labs Research