RE: questions on assertion

From: "Joshua Allen" <joshuaa@microsoft.com>
Subject: RE: questions on assertion
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 15:39:16 -0700

> > In this case, I am trying to figure out in that case how the RDF model
> > theory would cope with expressing the following.
> >
> > 1. my car is red
>
> <rdf:Description rdf:about="urn:autos:my-car" rdf:ID="Statement1">
>   <ex:Color>Red</ex:Color>
> </rdf:Description>

This is not legal RDF/XML, as according to RDF M&S there can be only one of
rdf:about and RDF:ID on a description, but if it was it would mean
something like
	the resource whose identifier is urn:autos:my-car and Statement1 is
	related to the string "Red" by the ex:Color property
which is quite different from
	my car is red
although RDF could do a decent job of representing all of
	my car is red
except for the ``my car'' bit.

> > 3. X is not true.
>
> <rdf:Description rdf:about="#Statement1" rdf:ID="Statement3">
>   <ex:Veracity>False</ex:Veracity>
> </rdf:Description>

This is again not legal RDF/XML, but if it was it would mean something like
	Statement1 is related to the string "False" by the ex:Veracity
	property
which has nothing to do with
	X is not true

> > 4. my car has four wheels
>
> <rdf:Description rdf:about="urn:autos:my-car" rdf:ID="Statement4">
>   <ex:WheelsCount>4</ex:WheelsCount>
> </rdf:Description>

This is again not legal RDF/XML and has very little to do with how many
wheels any car has.

Peter F. Patel-Schneider
Bell Labs Research