Re: DAML: restricting number of elements in a list

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 18:42:56 -0600
To: Steven Gollery <sgollery@cadrc.calpoly.edu>
Cc: www-rdf-logic@w3.org, Ian Horrocks <horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk>
>Ian,
>
>Are you saying that the use of List is restricted to defining DAML
>itself? Or is it legal for an
>ontology to define a property whose range is daml:List? (I
>understand now that the items in a
>List are unordered, I just want to find out whether I can use List
>in my own definitions or not.)

I think the best answer is NO.  Or at any rate, if you do use it,
there is absolutely no guarantee that what you write will make any
sense to a DAML reasoner, and it may even have paradoxical
consequences.

It might have been better, in retrospect, to have used some other
name than 'daml:List' for this construction, eg
'daml:PrivateSyntaxConstructionNotForGeneralUse'.

Pat Hayes
IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes