Re: DAML: restricting number of elements in a list

On February 7, Ken Baclawski writes:
> The daml:item property relates a list to each of its elements.  One can
> impose a daml:minCardinality restriction on the daml:item property to
> ensure that the number of vertices in a polygon is at least 3.
>
> Ken Baclawski
> Ken@Baclawski.com
> UBOT Project

I am afraid that this is a common misconception. You can write such a
thing, but if you read the language specification you will find that
daml+oil does not provide any semantics for it, so it does not have
the effect that you desire (in fact, from the point of view of
daml+oil, it has no effect whatsoever).

Supporting this kind of statement would have resulted in a language
that was able to modify its own meaning. We did not want to even try
to define a semantics for such a language, much less write software
(e.g., reasoners) to support it.

Regards, Ian