Re: RDFCore WG: Datatyping documents

From: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 19:26:35 +0200
To: ext Damian Steer <D.M.Steer@lse.ac.uk>, RDF Logic <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>
On 2002-02-04 17:52, "ext Damian Steer" <D.M.Steer@lse.ac.uk> wrote:

> TDL's method, which doesn't require those clauses, appears much more
> troublesome. <"0.0",0> != <"0",0> is a typical problem.

This is a problem with all datatyping proposals that RDF could
consider, since RDF cannot escape non-canonical lexical forms
and thus more than one lexical form can denote the same value
in for a given datatype.

> This is hardly an original thought (it was discussed on Friday), but
> could somebody explain why TDL does this? I can see hope for the
> 'almost a function' approach, but not for the lexical-value pairs.

Well, not to disparage Jeremy's efforts at providing an MT for
TDL (which I am not capable of doing and for which I am very
very grateful to Jeremy for his contributions), the particular approach
he took, that of the lexical-value pairing, is not exactly the
same as the basic concept behind TDL, which is more I think
along the lines of your 'almost a function' approach, and pairs
the lexical form (literal) with the URI of the datatype as
a basis for interpretation rather than a lexical form and a
value.

Cheers,

Patrick