Re: Classes and predicates as first class objects

Classic had some things that Bob might have been thinking of that have some non standard
dl flavor and have some flavor of second orderness.
(for more details, the manual is obtainable from:
http://www.bell-labs.com/project/classic/lisp.html)

The semantics specifications (e.g.,
http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/jair/abstracts/borgida94a.html)
were careful to handle these topics separately however.
These all arose out of application needs.

Some thing Bob may have been remembering:

close (in everything but the initial version of classic) was a knowledge base operation
and not a constructor in the language.
The operator close took as arguments a role and an individual and then allowed one to
state that no new fillers were allowed on that role of the individual (thereby
introducing a max cardinality statement on that role).

rules - classic had 3 kinds of rules.  All took a class as an argument and some also
took filtering functions which worked on arbitrary arguments and functions that could be
used to calculate fillers.
cl-add-rule (and its variants for the more complicated forms of rules) was a function
and not a constructor in the language.

tests - classic had a notion of a test function  that could be used to test if a classic
object or a datatype satisfied a particular function.  those functions took arbitary
arguments.
This was the escape hatch for classic since it was a limited language and application
writers sometimes needed additional expressive power over what the language provided.
They could essentially arbitrarily extend the language using this feature although there
were some caveats.
Test was a language constructor and had requirements on how it was used (see page 9 in
the manual for details).

We did make claims about the usefulness of all three features in applications in
practice.  In fact, all the applications that i dealt with made heavy use of rules and
tests and heavy use of either close or max cardinality restrictions to force a closure.

deborah