Re: Classes and predicates as first class objects

This discussion started not as a question about the merits of DLs, but
asked what you get when you sacrifice the ability to treat classes/predicates
as arguments to other predicates.  Slightly paraphrasing:

> > > Clearly, not allowing this feature (classes and arc labels as
> > > first class objects) buys description logics something.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my recollection is that CLASSIC allowed
second-order syntax, and in fact made some claims as to the utility of doing
so.  I my recollection is correct, then its not the case that we have to make this
particular sacrifice to achieve the "benefits" of a DL.  Rather, the trade-off
exists only for certain subclasses of DLs.

- Bob