Re: Dataypes, literals, syntax

On 2002-08-01 1:40, "ext pat hayes" <phayes@ai.uwf.edu> wrote:

>> I am not sure that
>>
>> Jenny age xsd:integer"10" .
>>
>> is effectively different than:
>>
>> Jenny age _:x
>> _:x xsd:integer "10" .
>
> It sounds like we are in violent agreement. OK, lets say they are not
> effectively different. The second one, however, is legal RDF, and the
> first one isn't. So why not use the one that is, since they are
> effectively the same? (Guha tells me that in his opinion, they are
> not effectively the same, and that the first has computational
> advantages over the second for writing APIs. OK, maybe: but that is a
> different point.)

You can do both, essentially, using current RDF.

C.f. http://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pstickler-val-01.txt

I.e.

   Jenny age <val:(http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema%23integer)10> .

If you need a single identifier for a datatyped value, use a val URI.
This also affords the benefit of graph compression (tidyness) for all values
having the same datatype and lexical representation.

If one later wanted to support xsd:integer"10" as a notational shorthand
for the full URI, fine, they are functionally equivalent.

As for APIs, the val URI representation can be used as a normalized,
internal representation for datatyped values -- regardless of idiom
used on input.

Cheers,

Patrick