Re: Some DAML clarification

From: Steven Gollery <sgollery@cadrc.calpoly.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:22:34 -0700
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
CC: www-rdf-logic@w3.org
Pat,

Thanks for the reply. It's going to take a while for me to really digest all
that you're saying, but there is one phrase that I can perhaps respond to:

> Model theory makes some assumptions about the
>world, of course, in order to even be stated (eg that the world
>contains individual things that have properties), but those are not
>embodied in any particular 'context': they are the assumptions that
>the formal language itself is predicated on, the assumptions that are
>built into its very structure. If they were false, then the formal
>language would be meaningless, and the semantic theory agrees with
>that judgement.

"the assumptions that the formal language itself is predicated on, the
assumptions that are built into its very structure" -- that's what I was trying
to get at with the word "context". It might have been better if I had written
something like "the context of the representation of the meaning. "

I appreciate your efforts to help me understand these issues.

Steve