Re: model theory for RDF/S

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 15:48:10 -0500
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Cc: www-rdf-logic@w3.org

>I thought that the idea here was to see how literals could be given a
>reasonable meaning.

Just to clarify: that is not the intention of the model theory. It
tries to keep as aloof as possible from  any questions about what
literals are, or how they get their meaning. I agree this needs to be
spelled out eventually, and once the language issues are settled I
would like to try to do so, along the lines you suggest:

>One way of proceeding is to require that the meaning of a
>literal be completely carried in its lexical form.

Quite, an excellent maxim. But speaking as a model-theorist, I want
to wait until the notion of 'lexical form' is *extremely* sharp
before attempting to make this precise.

>This would break much
>existing RDF, I think.

I hope not, and don't think it would, in fact, if 'lexical form' is
done right. But lets not get into that now.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes