RE: Literals (Re: model theory for RDF/S)

Well, depending on where one likes to draw lines (and it seems
most folks have their own unique opinion on that ;-) I think it
would be reasonable to ground the semantics of such a key construct
in RDF space, as a specialized case of rdf:value. I.e., rather
than x:QValue, one could define rdf:qvalue and such a typed
anonymous node would have clearly and explicitly defined semantics
and constraints per the official RDF standard -- such that someone
producing large amounts of knowledge using such constructs can
be assured that any RDF compliant system will enforce those constraints
and any system vendor creating an RDF application will be fully
aware of the intended purpose and semantics of such constructs.

The intimate relationship that the rdf:qvalue class would have with
the rdf:value class seems (to me at least) to justify it being
grounded in the same semantic layer, rather than somewhere else
(such as RDFS, DAML, DC, etc.)

> [why the crosspost, by the way?]

Just hitting "Reply to All" ;-)  Which list did you think needs
to be removed?

Cheers,

Patrick

--
Patrick Stickler                      Phone:  +358 3 356 0209
Senior Research Scientist             Mobile: +358 50 483 9453