RE: Literals (Re: model theory for RDF/S)

On Thu, 2001-09-27 at 13:20, Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com wrote:
> > Furthermore, this would offer a straightforward solution to some
> > problems like expressing the xml:lang attribute in RDF.
>
> I don't think actually that it would provide a solution for
> that per se, as xml:lang is a property of the occurrence, not
> the literal. E.g. the literal byte sequence "pan" could be
> either English or Spanish (and possibly other languages as well)
> yet I would presume that <... xml:lang="en">pan</...> is
> a statement about the particular occurrence of the literal and
> not about the byte sequence "pan" in general. You wouldn't
> (I don't think) want to have multiple statements attributing
> multiple languges to a given string -- at least insofar as
> the intended use of xml:lang is concerned, right?

You're perfectly right.
So I guess that assigning the xml:lang property to the *triple* would be
better.

 <rdf:Description about="myuri">
   <rdfs:label xml:lang="fr">Quelle bonne idée</rdfs:label>
 </rdf:Description>

would hence result in

[[ myuri rdfs:Label "Quelle bonne idée" ] xml:lang "fr" ]

-- excuse if my n3 is not quite correct.

> I would myself love to see a data type URI approach by which
> otherwise "literal" values could be defined as instances of a
> given data type URI. E.g.
>
>    dt:integer:5
>    dt:token:en
>    dt:date:2001-09-27