RE: Literals (Re: model theory for RDF/S)

It must be due to my ignorance of formal logic, but I just
don't see where there is any "syntactic encoding of integers
implicit in the notion of literal" which is specific to
a data type 'integer', or any other specific data type.

A string is a string is a string and the only thing we can
deduce from it is that it is a sequence of bytes. Whether
that sequence of bytes corresponds to a lexical representation
of a numerical magnitude which we wish to classify as 'integer'
is a matter of interpretation of the string. No such knowledge
exists 'inherent' in the string itself, explicitly or
implicitly.

So, any data type knowledge about a given literal value *must*
be asserted in one way or another externally from that literal
itself. Either by an anonymous node construct such as

   <rdf:Description>
      <rdf:value>5</rdf:value>
      <rdf:type rdf:resource="#integer"/>
   </rdf:Description>

or by some other means, such as, e.g. an alternate URI
representation  'int:5' where the data type knowledge
can either remain implicit in the semantics of the specific
URI scheme, or can be asserted based on that URI scheme,
e.g.

   <rdf:Description aboutEachPrefix="int:">
      <rdf:type rdf:resource="#integer"/>
   </rdf:Description>

In either case, one has to take deliberate steps to define
the data typing in a way that can be utilized as knowledge
explicit within the graph. And only in the case of the
URIs is such knowledge inherent, implicitly, in the label.

Perhaps I'm just not following what is being meant here by
"syntactic typing" of either URIs or literals.

???

Patrick

--
Patrick Stickler                      Phone:  +358 3 356 0209
Senior Research Scientist             Mobile: +358 50 483 9453