Re: DAML-S clarification

From: Sheila McIlraith <sam@KSL.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 10:45:01 -0800 (PST)
To: abcharl@maltanet.net, www-rdf-logic@w3.org

Charlie,

DAML-S is a DAML+OIL ontology for Web services.  It does not extend
the expressive power of the DAML+OIL language.  Rather, it provides
a set of classes and properties that enables specification of
properties and capabilities of Web services, while trying to be
agnostic with respect to how they're used.

I hope that answers your question.

Regards,
Sheila McIlraith

> Hi.
>
> Someone posed me his idea about DAML-S, which is the following:
>
> DAML-S is an ontology written in DAML for a specific application (process
> description) not a language extension to DAML.
>
> >From what I read..I am of the opinion that its more of an extension to DAML
> since it adds certain classes which are not in the DAML specifications( such
> as split+join, if-then-else, etc).
> Any comments in regard?
> Charlie

Sheila McIlraith, PhD                 Phone: 650-723-7932
Knowledge Systems Laboratory          Fax: 650-725-5850
Department of Computer Science
Gates Sciences Building, 2A-248       http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/people/sam
Stanford University                   E-mail sam@ksl.stanford.edu
Stanford, CA 94305-9020