RE: Why Triples? (was Re: What do the ontologists want)

>Nice to see something real-world for a change. However, you only go
>as far as to discuss representing or encoding (correct word?) the
>the data in triples. There's no denying that the structure would be
>a bit tangled, but look at what we might want to do with it -
>communicate & reason. Ok, we could pass on 4-ary relations, as long
>as the receiver was prepared to accept 4-ary structures. How might
>it be transferred?

Any number of ways. You could do it in XML, for example. You could do
it using Sexpressions, or even in HTML if you were willing to write a
(very) simple parser.  What kind of transfer problems are you worried
about?

>Same with reasoning - how would you go about querying this alongside
>e.g. a list of Director, Age Restriction, Country of origin,
>Duration + another 4 sets I can't think of...

Reasoners have been using formats like this since the 1960s. You
would unify the two expressions from left to right.

>I also suspect that there is something happening at a psychological
>level in these arguments - it's far easier for a human to relate to
>information in a structure like that below - but is this necessarily
>the case for machines?

Yes, there are significant computational advantages. In general, the
more stuff you can incorporate into the unifier, the more efficient
the inference search: you tend to be trading an exponential for a
linear cost, a very good trade.

Pat Hayes

>---
>Danny Ayers
><http://www.isacat.net/>http://www.isacat.net

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes