Re: DAML+OIL (March 2001) released: a correction

>pat hayes wrote:
>[...]
> > >This solution is not in the spirit of RDF.
> >
> > Perhaps not, but that was not the primary goal of everyone on the
> > committee. DAML+OIL is RDF-compliant (for political rather than
> > technical reasons), but do not make the error of thinking of it as
> > simply an extension to RDF.  DAML+OIL was constructed by a committee
> > with members who have a variety of agendas,
>
>true enough, but...
>
> > and taking RDF seriously
> > was of central importance only to a minority.
>
>Are you certain of that? You're free to say whatever you
>like on your own behalf, but here you're speaking for
>the group. Please justify that claim or retract it.

Perhaps I should have expressed myself more carefully.  And certainly
I should have made it clear that I was NOT speaking FOR the group, so
let me make that clear at once, and apologize for giving any other
impression. I certainly intended that it would be clear that the
opinions expressed were my own.

Let me withdraw that word "minority". I would not want to give the
wrong impression and I have not made a head count. Also, people's
positions have changed from time to time, in various ways; so it
would be more accurate to say that "not everyone on the committee has
always regarded RDF as central to DAML+OIL".

My main point, perhaps too pungently expressed, was to try to make it
clear that DAML+OIL should not be thought of simply as as a
sub-initiative of the  RDF effort (in my view, at any rate: and the
organisers may have their own views, which may well differ from
mine.) It has its own purposes and goals, and while staying
RDF-compliant is a tacit recognition of the likely influence of RDF
and its importance to the future of the 'semantic web', a criticism
of DAML from a perspective which assumes that RDF is the entire rest
of the world required short, sharp correction.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes