Re: Can DAML class also be an instance?

From: Stephen Reed <reed@cyc.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 11:07:29 -0500 (CDT)
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
cc: www-rdf-logic@w3.org, drager@bbn.com
On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Dan Connolly wrote:

> Stephen Reed wrote:
> > Doorways are subclasses of Portals and Artifacts, and the class of
> > doorways is an instance of the class of types of existing objects.
> > Is it legal DAML+OIL to have both type and subClassOf statements
> > describing a class?
> Yes, I believe so; e.g. daml:TransitiveProperty.
> > I presently fail the DAML XML validator on this point.
> That looks like a bug to me; what diagnostic do you get?

The DAML XML validator gives the error indication:
 ... is an instance of multiple conflicting types

As the source code was thoughtfully supplied with the download, I examined
the logic in my debugger and saw that the error indication is caused a
number of situations, among them a Class node having a type property (in
the method validateNodes in the file Validator.java).

I'm copying the author FYI.