Re: Reification as nesting

>pat hayes wrote:
> > Seems to me that
> > introducing contexts or quads or whatever are all much bigger changes
> > to the RDF model than introducing what amounts to a new category of
> > triple (or just changing the spec so that some of the old triples
> > have a different interpretation.)
>

>M&S discusses the concept of a 'model' or 'graph' aka context
>aka StatementSet - essentially being a set of statements.  Unfortunately
>it doesn't make any mention of this concept in the section 5.
>
>Thus this concept does not have to be introduced to RDF, but it does
>need to be better defined.

I took it that the 'graph' described in M&S was not an entity, but a
way of thinking about RDF as a whole. A kind of graphical abstract
syntax for the entire language, rather than a syntactic construct.

>For my money a lump of RDF/XML or N3 represents a set of Statements and
>we can talk about whether a statement is a member of that set or not,
>something I find clearer than talking about whether a statement is
>'asserted' or not.

The issue however is whether these sets can themselves be
incorporated into sentences. Adding that ability changes the language
profoundly.

BTW, a problem with the above (for me) is that when used in the ways
I want to use them, many of the triples inside such a set are not
statements - they don't have truthvalues or express a proposition.
Maybe this is just a terminological quibble, but it does have a
nonterminological consequence when trying to define a coherent
semantics, because we need a way to distinguish the 'real' statements
from the mere parts of other, larger, statements.

>N3 introduces a syntax for embedding the respresention of such a set
>of statements (N3 calls them contexts) inside the representation of another,
>a feature RDF/XML current lacks.

Well, sorry again to quibble, but N3 didnt *introduce* such a syntax.
If anyone did, it was probably one of Peirce, Frege or Aristotle,
although one could make a pretty good case that it was the first
proto-human who ever thought of writing down speech, probably in
ancient Sumeria.

BTW, I have yet to discover what exactly a 'context' is in N3. Is N3
supposed to be syntactic sugar for a particular way of writing RDF,
or is it a different language altogether?

Pat Hayes

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes