RE: definition/assertion (WAS rdf as a base for other languages)

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:14:51 -0500
To: "Ziv Hellman" <ziv@unicorn.com>
Cc: www-rdf-logic@w3.org
> > > a triple connecting a parent with a child, in a
>subject-predicate-object format of person-parentOf-child, leaves
>much unsaid -- a parent may
>
> > > have several children. If predicates serve as functions, then
>this "function" might not have a well-defined value precisely
>because the value
>
> > > could be any of a number of children. Of course one could make
>the object a list, but that too has drawbacks. Logic long ago
>handled >
>
> > > these matters by distinguishing between relations and
>functions. But because relations can be multi-placed and do not
>always fall neatly >
>
> > > into the subject-predicate-object framework, they are anathema
>to many, to the detriment of the representational tools.
>

> > To be fair to RDF, I think itis based on the relational intepretation.
>
>A quick glance at the RDF spec shows you are probably right. Point
>taken. But then I wonder how one could distinguish a relation from a
>well-defined function in RDF ...

You can't in RDF, as far as I can tell, since it has no notion of
equality. You can in DAML, with some awkwardness, by defining it as a
property (= binary relation) with a uniqueness condition.

Pat Hayes

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes