Re: properties with classes as values?

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 13:04:12 -0500
To: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@mysterylights.com>, "David Martin" <martin@ai.sri.com>
Cc: www-rdf-logic@w3.org
> > What I want is that the value of myProperty can be
> > *any* class.
>Then the range of it is rdfs:Class.
>   :myProperty rdfs:range rdfs:Class .
> > >    :x rdfs:range
> > >       [ daml:intersectionOf
> > >           (:Class [ rdfs:subClassOf :Animal ]) ] .
> > > XML RDF of these things available upon request...
> >
> > I would very much appreciate seeing the last sample above
> > in DAML+OIL.
><daml:Class rdf:ID="x">
> <rdfs:range>
>  <rdf:Description>
>   <daml:intersectionOf parseType="daml:collection">
>     <daml:Class rdf:ID="Class"/>
>     <rdf:Description>
>       <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="#Animal"/>
>     </rdf:Description>
>   </daml:intersectionOf>
>  </rdf:Description>
> </rdfs:range>
>In prose: the range of class "x" is an intersectionOf "#Class" and
>something which is the subClassOf "#Animal"; which most likely isn't
>what you really want to say.
> >  (a) assert that something is a subclass of Animal
> >  (b) denote the set of all subclasses of Animal?
>[ rdfs:subClassOf :Animal ] should be read as "something which is a
>subClassOf Animal". Not all of the subClasses, one specific sub class.
>So, (a).
> > Your example seems to rely on (b).

There is a way that one might be led to think of (b), however. In
general, an expression denoting an 'anonymous' entity can be
understood as denoting a property (the one shared by all the possible
entities that could be the anonymous entity), so that with this
understanding, [rdfs:subClassOf :Animal] would refer to the property
of being a subclass of Animal. And then, given that this is a
class-based language where a property is understood to be a class,
this might easily be taken to refer to the class of all subclasses of
Animals. In sum, there is a natural conceptual path from 'anonymous
thingie' to 'class of thingies'.

So the upshot is, that we probably need to be extra-sensitive to this
natural slope and put up guard rails in the DAML documentation.
Thanks for bringing this up, guys.

Pat Hayes

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax