Re: Building on RDF

From: Drew McDermott <drew.mcdermott@yale.edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 10:27:10 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-rdf-logic@w3.org

   [Drew McDermott]
   > As RDF stands, the obvious way of representing (if p q)
   > has the drawback that we could infer p and q from (if p q) alone,
   > because RDF allows the inference of all the triples of a formula from
   > any formula containing them.

   [Dan Connolly]
   I don't know why people keep saying that. It's just not so.

   [Lynn Stein]
   I don't know why people keep saying that. It's just not so.
   When Drew says "the obvious way", I don't think he's referring to what Peter
   wrote.

Yes, by the "obvious" way I meant avoiding any reification, and just
making the representation of p and q occur unaltered as pieces of the
representation of (if p q).  So any triple that occurs in p would also
occur in (if p q), and hence be asserted when (if p q) was asserted.

                                             -- Drew McDermott