Cheap memory [was RE: rdf as a base for other languages]

From: Peter Crowther <peter.crowther@networkinference.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 11:41:13 +0100
To: "'Jonathan Borden'" <jborden@mediaone.net>
Cc: www-rdf-logic@w3.org
> From: Jonathan Borden [mailto:jborden@mediaone.net]
> And realize that as
> 256 Mb memory sticks have become quite cheap we don't need to
> be as stingy
> with tuple arity as 2 years ago. Remember that the Semantic
> Web has lofty
> goals and we ought not send it out in the jungle with dull knives :-)

I take the other approach here and assume that two-year-old PC apps are
current PDA apps are next year's WAPps --- it just depends what hardware
you're running on.  We don't need to be *as* stingy, but if the Semantic Web
is going to be used by agents then those agents will have to run on
relatively small devices.

I'll also note [Kernighan's?] Law: 'The steady state of disks is 99% full'
and paraphrase to PDAs: 'The steady state of PDA memory is 99% full'.  I
don't care how much CPU and memory you can throw at it; I'll just produce a
more complex system or spend less time tuning my code working set :-).

Certainly we shouldn't limit ourselves by current technology; we should
assume 10x processor speed, 10x RAM, 10x HDD as a minimum.  But we should
also assume 10x more complex apps.

		- Peter