Re: rdf as a base for other languages

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Brian McBride wrote:
[...]
> I'd like to focus on my main question though.  What are the relative
> merits of 'extending' RDF v designing a new language for
> expressing rules which operate on ground facts expressed in RDF.

My preference is for the latter, setting aside matters of naming,
acronyms, brands etc (ie. i'd always thought we'd do such a such a thing
and call it RDF 2.0...). The naive triples world view can bring a handy
simple information model to many applications in RDF 1.0's original
problem domain (web sitemaps, thesauri, dublin core records, etc.). But I
believe that common simple model can easily be overstretched and make
things seem _more_ complicated than they did originally. RDF 1.0's
reification mechanism being a classic case of this imho...

Dan