Re: Why? Re: rdf as a base for other languages

From: Seth Russell <seth@robustai.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 10:24:30 -0700
To: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>, <las@olin.edu>
Cc: <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>

> What I do wish to assert is the <if> expression. The problem with RDF as
it
> is currently defined (statement == triple == fact) is that I cannot assert
> an expression created of multiple statements (i.e. a subgraph) apparently
> without asserting each of the subgraphs within the subgraph.
>
> What I do wish is to be able to 'draw a line' around a subgraph (or
> expression take your pick) and assert _that_.

But that is exactly what we can do with context.  Context is just a
collection of statements from the entire graph available to any agent at any
particular time.  This kind of Context does imply that we have some
capability of allowing an arc to be the object of another arc .. which I
take we can do with reification .. see [1].   And for an example of using
this for disjoint contexts see [2] and [3].

[1] http://robustai.net/mentography/reification.gif
[2] http://robustai.net/mentography/disjointDecision.gif
[3] http://robustai.net/mentography/disjointDecision2.gif

Seth Russell