RE: DAML+OIL: Questions & Improvements.

On January 29, Dan Brickley writes:

> On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Ian Horrocks wrote:
>
> > > Syntactically however, it is... mostly (discrepancies: 1. RDF is requires
> > > acyclic subclass relations, DAML+OIL allows cyclic subclass relations; 2.
> > > DAML+OIL requires one syntax for cardinality to avoid exposed content, thus
> > > other equivalent and legal RDF syntaxes are illegal for DAML+OIL
> > > cardinality; 3. RDF allows only one range restriction per property, DAML+OIL
> > > allows multiple; 4. the "daml:collection" doesn't exist in RDF).
> >
> > 1 and 3 are likely to change in RDFS.
>
> Ahem! Pointer please to evidence for claim (1). Or a PaperTrail
> (http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/PaperTrail).
>
> Regarding (3), my inclination is to agree (and also fix rdfs:domain). The
> important thing with domain/range is to define what they mean, not how
> many times one can write down statements using them. The RDFS prose gets
> this wrong imho.

There have been extensive discussions about (3) on the RDF list(s),
w.r.t. both range and domain, most/all of which led to the conclusion
that the original specification was a mistake and should be
changed. My claim regarding (1) is rather more doubtful. The evidence
is as follows:

a) I spoke to Ora Lassila about it and he didn't raise any strong
objections.

b) The restriction is clearly senseless, so it is bound to be dropped
eventually.

Regards, Ian