Re: What We Have Here Is A Problem In Communication

From: Jon Awbrey <jawbrey@oakland.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:44:57 -0500
To: Arisbe <arisbe@stderr.org>, Conceptual Graphs <cg@cs.uah.edu>, RDF Logic <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>, SemioCom <semiocom@listbot.com>
CC: Gilles Arnaud <gilles-arnaud@wanadoo.fr>, Patrick Benazet <patrick.benazet@libertysurf.fr>
才~~~~~~~~才~~~~~~~~才~~~~~~~~才~~~~~~~~才~~~~~~~~

Patrick Benazet wrote:

> on comprend mieux effectivement ...

"Voila!" machine translation:

> One understands better effectively ...

Is that correct?
I mean the translation,
but maybe also the original.

The computing machine understands "effectively",
in the sense of "effective clerical procedure",
almost as if by the definition of "effective",
but does an automaton understand "affectively",
that is, does it get irritated at the doubts,
and by the "manifold of impressions" (MOI?),
that incite it on its brief, all too brief,
then on its long, all too long, inquiries?

I wonder ...

Jon Awbrey

P.S.  Explanation of at least one of the jokes:
      I find it amusing to use the word "atoll"
      in circumstances where one is choosing --
      or is perhaps forced by circumstances --
      to circumlocute, to periphrase, that is,
      to talk around the object of one's signs,
      not quite reaching the shore of the island,
      that may, indeed, no longer be there atoll.

      I know that it is "bad form" to explain a joke,
      but because "We Scholars" are not very funny folk,
      anyway, perhaps it may be permitted, at least here.

      Also:  "diathread" = "diatribe" + "thread".
J.A.

What follows is just one of my little experiments --
and most people just hate my little experiments! --
into the nature of artificial translation ...

1.  Initial Text (I dare not say "Original", myself!)

S幦iotique et Communication Home Page: Archive: Message #691