Re: Extending daml+oil with concrete datatypes

On January 22, Mike Dean writes:
> Ian,
>
> Thanks for sending this out!
>
> Here are a few initial comments:
>
> 1) I found it interesting that you included xsd:simpleType
> definitions within the rdf:RDF in [1].  This breaks RDF API
> and probably other existing RDF/DAML tools.  I had expected
> that the XML Schema datatypes would be defined at a separate
> .xsd URI and referenced from daml+oil+concrete-ex.daml.

Oops. We were trying to keep things simple and obviously overdid
it. Would it be OK for now if I just moved the type definitions
outside the scope of the <rdf:RDF></rdf:RDF>?

> 2) There are several XML well-formedness problems in
> daml+oil+concrete-ex.daml.  See diffs below.  In particular,
> rdfs:range for concrete types needs an attribute name as
> well as a value.

Fixed, thanks. I used "rdf:resource" as the attribute - presumably RDF
will not object to my treating XMLS type definitions as resources.

> 3) You say
>
> > Non-supported data types can either be trapped as an error
> > or ignored.
>
> They can also be treated as rdfs:Literal.

The trouble is that a daml agent may have no idea what data types are
supported or even if what it has are syntactically correct
definitions/values - it can just pass sets of type definitions and
values to a "validator" and expect only yes/no answers.

Ian