Re: Conceptual Graphs, N3, RDF, Semantic Web

From: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 22:52:58 -0500
To: <fmanola@mitre.org>, "RDF Logic" <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>
Thank you, Frank!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank Manola" <fmanola@mitre.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2001 5:45 PM
Subject: Re: Conceptual Graphs, N3, RDF, Semantic Web

> I believe the definition of "reification" intended in the context of RDF
> is along the lines of McCarthy's, found at
> http://www-formal.stanford.edu/jmc/generality/node6.html, to wit:
[..]> > This process of making objects out of sentences and other entities
is called >> reification.

That ws indeed my sense,  perhaps not the sense of some philosophers or
psychologists, but this is the RDF logic list, and this is the sense in
which RDF
uses it.

(In N3, if

:sky :color :blue  .

is the "sentence", then

{ :sky :color :blue }

is the "object".  In the RDF model, this is represented by a set of
sentences. which describe it.)

I obviously have gone to the wrong cocktail parties, not having seen the
word being used to impress the impressoinable ;-)

tim