Announcing DAML+OIL

From: Jim Hendler <jhendler@darpa.mil>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:50:59 -0500
To: www-rdf-logic@w3.org
As mentioned in an earlier message to this list, a joint EU/US
committee was established to examine the DAML-ONT language release
and produce a more stable version, as well as making it more
consistent with the European OIL project.  We are happy to announce
that the committee has now released a new language, called DAML+OIL
aimed at cleaning up problems with the original release, making the
language's semantics more clear, and enabling the language to more
successfully interoperate with various description-logic-based tools.
  The new language is now available at
http://www.daml.org/2000/12/daml+oil-index.html

  As well as the language release the committee has extended the
examples available, updated all reference documents, and included
both a model-theoretic and axiomatic semantics.  We have also
produced document to list all the changes from the earlier DAML-ONT
and from the current OIL language.

  We look forward to your comments.
  - Jim Hendler
    DARPA

p.s. We are currently working on a major revision to the DAML web
pages (http://www.daml.org)  to make them easier to navigate and to
provide significantly more resources to the community.  If you have
suggestions for the new page, feel free to contact the webmaster
(webmaster@www.daml.org)
Prof. James Hendler		Program Manager
DARPA/ISO			703-696-2238 (phone)
3701 N. Fairfax Dr.		703-696-2201 (Fax)