Announcing DAML+OIL

From: Jim Hendler <jhendler@darpa.mil>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:50:59 -0500
To: www-rdf-logic@w3.org
As mentioned in an earlier message to this list, a joint EU/US
committee was established to examine the DAML-ONT language release
and produce a more stable version, as well as making it more
consistent with the European OIL project.  We are happy to announce
that the committee has now released a new language, called DAML+OIL
aimed at cleaning up problems with the original release, making the
language's semantics more clear, and enabling the language to more
successfully interoperate with various description-logic-based tools.
  The new language is now available at
  As well as the language release the committee has extended the
examples available, updated all reference documents, and included
both a model-theoretic and axiomatic semantics.  We have also
produced document to list all the changes from the earlier DAML-ONT
and from the current OIL language.
  We look forward to your comments.
  - Jim Hendler

p.s. We are currently working on a major revision to the DAML web
pages (http://www.daml.org)  to make them easier to navigate and to
provide significantly more resources to the community.  If you have
suggestions for the new page, feel free to contact the webmaster
Prof. James Hendler		Program Manager
DARPA/ISO			703-696-2238 (phone)
3701 N. Fairfax Dr.		703-696-2201 (Fax)
Arlington, VA 22203		jhendler@darpa.mil