Re: Where DAML+OIL deviates from the RDF-Schema spec.

From: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 09:56:20 +0000
To: Frank van Harmelen <Frank.van.Harmelen@cs.vu.nl>
Cc: www-rdf-logic@w3.org
At 11:53 PM 2/24/01 +0100, Frank van Harmelen wrote:
>"[in DAML+OIL] multiple domain expressions restrict the domain of P to the
>intersection of
>the class expressions.
>Warning: This is contrary to the semantics of the domain element in the
>RDF Schema
>specification, which we believe to be flawed."
>"Warning: Although the RDF Schema specification only allows one range
>restriction for each
>property, it seems quite natural to allow multiple range restrictions.
>These would then
>again be interpreted as saying that the range of P must be the
>intersection of all the
>class expressions."

FWIW, I would support changes to RDFS to be more like DAML+OIL in these
respects.  I think these interpretations are more consistent with the
overall structure of RDF.

(My rationale:  under "open-world" assumptions RDFS (alone) can not
generally be used to detect errors in RDF, but it can be used to make
inferences.  The usages described above better support inference.)