Re: a few issues with daml+oil+concrete (XMLSchema Datatypes)

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 19:56:37 -0600
To: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Cc: www-rdf-logic@w3.org
>Pat Hayes writes:
> >.... But since the same number might be
> >written in binary, decimal, hexadecimal or octal; all of them, for
> >various purposes, with a claim to be the canonical representation,
> >why not use a terminology which indicates the encoding, say for
> >example:  rdf:decnum   rdf:binnum  rdf:octnum   and so on? Notice
> >that 'num' here means numeral, not number.
>That makes sense, but XMLSchema happens to define only one "lexical
>representation" mapping and one "canonical lexical representation"
>mapping for its "integer" datatype, and they happen to use base 10.
>So I think you're heading somewhere a little different than the
>simplest practical merging of XMLSchema and DAML+OIL (which I think is
>what is being proposed [1]).

Yes, true. I withdraw my suggestion. Your lexRep abbreviation will do
fine. But I also agree with PFPS that  DAML+OIL needs to be
consistent with RDF usage, however braindamaged it is.

>Would you like to propose something else, like actually defining
>datatypes axiomatically?

I would LIKE to, but I know better than to actually do so. And since
the people with the long knives are those who would have to write the
software, I will concede to their judgement.

> I personally like that idea, but people say
>that writing the axioms and writing the systems to work with them
>efficiently are both difficult or maybe impossible.  I haven't managed
>to prove them wrong yet (and since I haven't really tried, I'm still

Well, I'm pessimistic; but I'm glad there are optimists.

Pat Hayes

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax