Re: a few issues with daml+oil+concrete (XMLSchema Datatypes)

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 11:47:24 -0600
To: sandro@w3.org, "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Cc: www-rdf-logic@w3.org, ht@w3.org
Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>:
> > 3.  Using the property rdf:value to link from a point in the value
> >     space (eg 10) to a point in the lexical space (eg "10") seems
> >     completely backwards.   That's saying:
> >
> >           the number 10 has a value which is the string "10"

Well, since 'value' has no formal meaning, we could interpret it in
this context as meaning ' ... whose value can be determined by
interpreting the string .... in the usual way'.

"Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>:

>Agreed.  I also think that this is the wrong way around.  However rdf:value
>is used for precisely this relationship in RDF M&S.  One other reason for
>using rdf:value is that it is shorter than rdf:lexicalRepresentation.

Right. God forbid that everyone should have to write
'rdf:canonicalLexicalRepresentation=' every time they use a numeral.
If a generic name for the inverse of 'value' is needed, let's call it
'eulav' (pronounced you-lav). But since the same number might be
written in binary, decimal, hexadecimal or octal; all of them, for
various purposes, with a claim to be the canonical representation,
why not use a terminology which indicates the encoding, say for
example:  rdf:decnum   rdf:binnum  rdf:octnum   and so on? Notice
that 'num' here means numeral, not number.

Pat Hayes

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax