Re: DAMl "Thing" should be Top, Universal class - including concrete types

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 23:48:34 -0600
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: www-rdf-logic@w3.org
>It occured to me the other day that the choice
>of "concrete" for integers, strings, and the
>like vs. "abstract" for stuff you might want
>to model like people, places, and things
>is sort of ironic: what's concrete
>about an integer? What's abstract about a shoe?

Yes, this terminology is seriously warped. It would be better to call
them 'reserved' or 'ancillary' or 'implemented' or some such
locution, rather than anything which suggests a position in an
abstraction or class heirarchy. After all, the whole point is that
they aren't going to be *anywhere* in the class heirarchy, right?

>It's kinda like the X windows system wherein,
>counterintuitively, the wimpy little box you
>sit at is the server and the million dollar
>supercomputer over there is the client.

Well, now, if you ever had an evening job as a waiter you would
realize that this actually makes a lot of sense.

Pat Hayes

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes