KIF to N3 (was: universal languages)

From: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 18:01:10 -0500
To: "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>, "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>, <danbri@w3.org>, <horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk>, <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>;
<danbri@w3.org>; <timbl@w3.org>; <horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk>;
<www-rdf-logic@w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2001 3:13 PM
Subject: Re: universal languages

[...]
> I wrote a KIF parser in python
>   http://www.w3.org/2000/10/n3/KIFSyntax.py
>   $Id: KIFSyntax.py,v 1.2 2001/01/27 22:43:59 connolly Exp $
> and I think TimBL is using it to convert the KIF
> axioms to n3.

Actually I hacked the original file from Deb and co
http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/test/dpo/axioms.txt
using a sed script :-/
http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/test/dpo/axioms.sed
to make a version in N3 lists which are very like KIF lists
http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/test/dpo/axioms0.n3
then I used a few conversions in N3
http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/test/dpo/convert.n3
to generate the equivalent using N3's log:implies
I didn't convert it all but convinced myself
it was going to work.

>He's got a converter from n3 to RDF,
> but it doesn't handle quoting/reification really, yet.

It will reify a forumula - the result is of course not very pretty -
 but I haven't invented a quotation syntax for RDF.

> I think he'll need something like McDermott's proposal
> in order to realistically represent this stuff in
> anything like RDF.

I only need to add <quote> to generate N3 rules in RDF/XML.
It is a misisng piece in the spec which has lots of quotation
in it in arbitrary subset of cases cases anyway.

I have CVS in a mess at the moment :( so the web may not
be up to date and there have been other things to do.

tim