Re: Difference between syntactic building blocks and formal languages ...

From: Frank Manola <fmanola@mitre.org>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 15:50:58 -0500
To: Seth Russell <seth@robustai.net>
CC: RDF-LOGIC <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>

If we consider RDF triples to have no formal semantics:

a.  I don't understand how we can say any triples have property arcs
(or, for that matter, what a "property" is for them to have).

b.  I don't understand how we could then use RDF for even simple
metadata (like "the creator of <foobar> is John");  it seems to me under
your scheme we'd have to use some language built on top of RDF to do
even that (which people might do anyway, but that's another issue).