Re: RDFCore Update

From: Wolfgang Nejdl <nejdl@kbs.uni-hannover.de>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 05:08:46 +0200
To: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org, www-rdf-logic@w3.org, Wolfgang Nejdl <nejdl@stanford.edu>
> The minutes of the RDFCore WG face to face meeting
>
>   http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/20010801-f2f/
>
> have just been approved and this seemed like a good time to report on our
> progress.
>
> Most of the people I have spoken to have said we had a good meeting and we
> have made good progress.  Pat Hayes presented a strawman model theory for RDF.
> which was well received.  This is a technique borrowed from the logicians
> which provides a formal mathematical foundation for RDF.  I am hopeful that
> this will prove to be a useful technique for grounding many of the semantic
> issues that have arisen.
>
> We did spend a lot of time discussing anonymous resources, but it was time
> well spent as this was an issue that the WG had been struggling to move
> forward on email and teleconferences.  In the end we made significant
> progress, deciding that anonymous resources are indeed part of the RDF
> model, not just syntactic entities.  We also made good progress with
> understanding their semantics.
>
> Other decisions the WG made include:
>
>   o The model theory will be defined for RDF graphs, not n-triples.

Brian,

Why did you decide to define it for RDF graphs? Specifying the
semantics on n-triples is probably closer to the usual first order
logic formalisms (or Datalog), see e.g. our formalization of the
O-Telos-RDF variant (comparable to RDFS),
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-logic/2001Aug/0064.html).

Wolfgang