Re: Questions About The List Argument of Properties Like "unionOf"

From: Richard Fikes <fikes@KSL.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 16:16:47 -0700
To: Marcelo Tallis <mtallis@teknowledge.com>
CC: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, www-rdf-comments@w3.org, www-rdf-logic <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>
> > Dan Connolly wrote:
> >
> > If you tried to say (rest L2 L3) and (first L3 #Elefant)
> > this would be an inconsistency: since rest is functional,
> > L3 = nil, and nothing is the first of nil.
> >

> I don't understand that.
>
> Does it mean that you cannot change the value of a functional property?

Here is what I think is the answer to your question.  No, you cannot
change the value of a functional property.  Such a change is essentially
first removing statements from a knowledge base and then adding
statements.  The removal is necessary to rid the knowledge base of the
old value.  Such removal would need to include removing statements that
could be used to infer the old value as well as removing explicit
assertions of the old value.

Richard