Re: Reification

>From: "Graham Klyne" <GK@ninebynine.org>
>
> > Until this, I never got any sense that open world negation was
> > impossible.
>
>Maybe that's because open world Truth is impossible too.  Rather Truth is
>relative to active processes. Perhaps the best we can hope for is a kind of
>propositional attitude that each agent calculates for it's self.

What on earth are you guys talking about? Truth and falsity have got
nothing to do with the openness or closedness of the world, and
nothing much to do with activity or processes.

Pat Hayes

PS. Also, by the way: negation is not a relation; to negate a
relation is not to invert it; 'open world' negation is exactly the
same as any other negation; and encoding is not the same as
representing.  And no, I am not going to explain why. Go read a book.

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes