Re: Reification

At 10:42 PM 4/6/01 +0100, jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com wrote:
>ps you seem to have some interesting points about negation, but I have
>    to re-read them (as I was close to the belief that open-world-negation
>    was impossible)

Until this, I never got any sense that open world negation was
impossible.  Rather that it always brought the possibility of contradictory
or inconsistent expression.  If I get this right, closed worlds have a
possibility of setting rules on "valid" expressions such that no two such
"valid" expressions are contradictory.

Refering to the 1-pager on formal systems that Dan cited a while ago:

[[[
% Formal Systems - Definitions
% (from Ruth E. Davis, Truth, Deduction, and Computation.
% New York: Computer Science press, 1989.)
%
http://www-rci.rutgers.edu/~cfs/305_html/Deduction/FormalSystemDefs.html
% (c) Charles F. Schmidt
% Last Modified: Saturday, May 08, 1999 9:07:08 PM GMT
]]]

I think this view of a "closed world" might be similar to a "theory".

#g

Graham Klyne
GK@NineByNine.org