RE: DAML+OIL (March 2001) released

From: Danny Ayers <danny@panlanka.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 10:36:11 +0600
To: "pat hayes" <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>, "Seth Russell" <seth@robustai.net>
Cc: <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>
<- >What is your problem with that kind of politics?  It seems to
<- me that we got
<- >too many cooks mucking with the soup.  We got CG, and KIF,  and CycL and
<- >lord know what other KR systems floating around.  It makes my
<- head spin !
<-
<- My dear fellow, you have hardly started. But if you want to legislate
<- the world so that there is only one KR langauge or reasoning engine,
<- then I would actively oppose that on political grounds, yes. That is
<- like saying that we should all eat one standard food, and who needs
<- fish?

I think the role of RDF with all the different KR representations is as a
common interface - the argument that this only needs 2n kinds of converters
rather that the n^2 required to get all the languages/representations
talking to each other directly. A common interface that is processible using
existing web technologies would presumably have some additional benefits...
Of course inferences could be made on RDF directly, but I don't think
inference engine construction should be led by the RDF specs, rather the
other way around.