Re: log:forAll makes sense? [was: Can we agree on triples ?]

>At 03:52 PM 4/2/01 -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:
>>and the former is, say,
>>
>>       (log:forall '?a '(loves ?a mary))
>>
>>where log:forall is defined so that this expands to
>>
>>       (wtr '(forall (?a) (loves ?a mary)))
>
>Er, what's "wtr" meant to stand for here?

It is the KIF truth predicate. It asserts the proposition that the
quoted string would mean if it were translated into KIF. (Actually it
doesnt quite do that exactly, because to do it exactly would produce
paradoxes; which is why it is W-tr, standing for Weakly TRue; but
this is a technicality that we probably don't want to get into.)

This is a very obscure and powerful device usually used only for the
most arcane and exotic uses. The fact that its use is mandated by RDF
in order to express something as elementary as a universal quantifier
is an illustration of what is wrong with the RDF model.

Pat Hayes

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes