RE: Question: DAML cardinality restrictions

From: Danny Ayers <danny@panlanka.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 22:43:38 +0600
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>, <dallsopp@signal.dera.gov.uk>
Cc: <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>
<- As far as logical sophistication of users goes, I don't any qualitative
<- difference between databases and knowledge bases.  To really understand
<- either one, and, in particular, to understand querying of either one,
<- requires a certain level of understanding of their underlying formalisms.
<- The only qualitative advantage that databases may have is one of
<- familiarity.

Hang on a second - who are the users?

Surely as humans we will be dealing with a layer (several layers) above the
underlying formalisms. Ok, so underneath it all there may not be any
qualitive difference (though there could be - you don't often find Bayesian
probabilities and fuzzy truth values in databases), - assuming there isn't
then the logical sophistication won't be different. But from the human
perspective, which requires more sophistication :

SELECT * FROM people WHERE father > 1

Who do you know with more than one father?