Re: names, URIs and ontologies

From: Pierre-Antoine CHAMPIN <champin@bat710.univ-lyon1.fr>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 09:07:09 +0100
To: jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com
CC: " - *www-rdf-logic@w3.org" <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>
Jos,

Napespaces, as mentioned in http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Webize.html, are a syntactical workaround, introduced "for brevity and syntactic reasons".
They can be compared to C preprocessor macros, or XML entities :
in the end, they are replaced by URI prefices.
So they are not an alternative to URIs, since they do not *really* belong to the lexicon.

By the way, URI schemes are some kind of namespaces,
and even if it is better, as I said, to use commonly agreed schemes,
I know many people (including myself) using "private" URI schemes in their applications.

  Pierre-Antoine