Re: names, URIs and ontologies

From: Pierre-Antoine CHAMPIN <champin@bat710.univ-lyon1.fr>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 10:49:10 +0100
To: RA Poell <poell@fel.tno.nl>
CC: RDF-Logic <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>, Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>

I'm not sure I get your point :
URIs are actually intended to be public names :
URLs are public names for pieces of data/online services,
URIs are an extension of URLs, supposedly extensible so that the same syntax can express any kind of URI.

The ideal URI for boston would be
It assumes that the "city:" scheme is commonly agreed on,
but any kind of public name has to do that agreement assumption.

It may look cumbersome to write such a long name for Boston, and I agree with Pat Hayes that a web logic could accept ambiguities, as natural language does. So I guess that the following ambiguous URIs could be used too :
  city:Boston -- ambiguous with Boston (UK)
or even
  named:Boston -- ambiguous with Boston (UK) and Ralh Boston (olympic champion, 1939-)

The URIs abo

The problem you raise doesn't come, IMO, from URIs themselves -- it is easy to imagine new kinds of URIs -- but from the fact that URI schemes do not exist yet to describe cities or persons, and that web logics need them already.