Re: status of DAML-ONT

At 9:41 AM -0400 10/16/00, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>Hi:
>
>I am unclear as to the status of DAML-ONT with respect to the W3C.  There
>doesn't seem to be anything on the www-rdf-logic mailing list archives
>concerning this.  Can someone enlighten me?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Peter Patel-Schneider

Currently, www-rdf-logic is an open mailing list for discussions of
RDF-related issues in logic, Dan Brickley heads up the activities in
this area.  This month, DARPA, with help from a number of other
groups, including the OIL commuity, has released our working draft of
our language DAML-ONT which has, at this moment in time, no official
sanction by any W3C working group.  However, as DAML-ONT is based on
RDFS, has a major US govt investment behind it, supports an active
and growing research group,  is being used in both government and
industrial applications, and is open to all inputs from everyone
else, this list became the place of choice to discuss it -- rather
than on some closed list which would exclude non-DARPA participants.
  We hope the future status of DAML (ontology, rules and logic) will
become a more recognized W3C activity, as well as gaining EU status
as a joint project, and discussions have begun relating to these, but
nothing official is ready to be said at this time about either W3C or
EU participation in DAML.
  As I've said before, we welcome the comments of the user community,
and we hope that this language will become a common jumping off point
for many projects, technologies, etc.  Ideally, we hope that the
"DAML level" becomes a useful level of abstraction for semantic
interoperability between different communities and for other web
semantic langauges -- for example, DAML-ONT provides a useful
interchange language between SHOE and OIL -- currently the two
largest academic research projects in web semantics (to my knowledge)

This particular note, unlike my others, does state the official
opinion of the DARPA Information Systems Office.

  -Jim Hendler
  DAML Program Manager

Dr. James Hendler		jhendler@darpa.mil
Chief Scientist, DARPA/ISO	703-696-2238 (phone)
3701 N. Fairfax Dr.		703-696-2201 (Fax)
Arlington, VA 22203		http://www.cs.umd.edu/~hendler