Relying on RDF(S) semantics

From: Ian Horrocks <horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 13:47:10 +0100 (BST)
To: www-rdf-logic@w3.org
RDFS extends RDF by assigning a semantics to particular RDF
constructs. For example, the property "subClassOf" is given a
(relatively informal) semantics in the RDFS specification. The same
should be true for DAML-ONT - it extends RDF/RDFS by assigning a
semantics (preferably well defined) to certain constructs. It is
pointless to say that we rely on the semantics of the host language
(RDF/RDFS in this case) as in this case we are not extending it, just
writing something down in it - I can say x subClassOf y in RDF, but it
doesn't have any meaning beyond the fact that x is related to y by
some relation that just happens to have the name subClassOf.

Ian
--
Ian Horrocks, Department of Computer Science,
University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL, UK.