Re: basic decisions underlying DAML-ONT (defined classes)

From: <Dlmcg1@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 10:32:30 EDT
To: connolly@w3.org, pfps@research.bell-labs.com
CC: www-rdf-logic@w3.org
In a message dated 10/12/2000 7:17:46 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
connolly@w3.org writes:

<< I should have noted it explicitly as a TODO.

 I'll try to cook up a design shortly.

 If you beat me to it, so much the better! >>

the notion of primitive vs. defined types  (or just necessary  vs. necessary
and sufficient conditions) embodied in description logics is one model for
this issue.

examples are available in the OIL whitepaper at:
http://www.ontoknowledge.org/oil/downl/dialects.pdf

type for oil is defined on page 6 of the document
and examples using it are available in a few places including page 12 on the
definition of herbivore.

deborah
dlm@ksl.stanford.edu