Re: I have a trouble with The RDF Model

At 04:40 PM 11/29/00 -0600, pat hayes wrote:

>>I'm not sure I'd know a model theory if it leapt up and bit me, but
>>that's a useful start for me.  What would you say is the "range" of a
>>model theory?
[...]

Thank you for the explanation.  I found that very helpful.

>>>So I repeat: are you saying that the 'at' assertions are part of RDF, or
>>>not?
>>
>>I'd say not, but that it is possible to _model_ the 'at' assertions in RDF.
>
>The trouble with that answer is, I really do not know what it means. What
>sense of 'model' are you using? Do you mean it is possible to *describe*
>them in RDF? Or that it is possible to *simulate* them in RDF? Or that
>they are some kind of assertional *extension* to RDF? Or *axioms written
>in RDF syntax*? Any help would be appreciated.

Er, that was sloppy of me -- I've only just begun to realize the depth of
special meaning associated with the word "model" in this context.  I meant
it is possible to describe them in RDF.  (I'm not sure whether that is
always distinct from "simulate")

[Refreshing the cache...]
>([Bush, wonThe, Election] at RobustAI)
[...]
>No, the model theory simply assigns interpretations to the syntactic
>constructions; it does not control the syntax. If the 'at' construction is
>part of the syntax then the model theory should assign it a meaning, and
>if it is not part of the syntax then it should ignore it. So, is 'at' part
>of RDF syntax or not?

I meant that I think it is possible to construct an RDF graph that
represents the intended meaning of the statement above;  e.g.

    [r]--type------->[Statement]
    [r]--subject---->[Bush]
    [r]--predicate-->[wonThe]
    [r]--object----->[Election]
    [r]--at--------->[RobustAI]

#g

Graham Klyne                       Content Technologies Ltd.
<Graham.Klyne@mimesweeper.com>