Re: Logic and Using The Semantic Web Toolbox

At 05:02 PM 11/28/00 +0000, Sean B. Palmer wrote:
>However, as they are being introduced as "new", my question is: "how do we
>define logical assertions using RDF/RDF Schemas"? Or, put in more detail, is
>there a way of creating a Schema or using current RDF attributes to
>competently describe new logical assertions?

I think the short answer is:  "we don't".  As TimBL also points out in the
notes you cite [1]:

"(No comment needs to be made about the huge number of languages which
allow logical expression. In the classification of languages, normally
logic is introduced before the ability to make statements about statements
-- or rather, it was until Goedel. Here, the "first order" question is
taken backwards, in that RDF statements already break the "first order"
assumptions before basic logic has been introduced. Not extends the toolbox
to propositional logic.)."

Thus, to make logical assertions, something needs to be added to RDF.

#g
--

[1] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Toolbox.html

Graham Klyne                       Content Technologies Ltd.
<Graham.Klyne@mimesweeper.com>