Re: Equality and subclass axioms

From: Graham Klyne <gk-lists@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 18:38:36 +0000
To: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Cc: www-rdf-logic@w3.org
At 01:34 PM 11/26/00 -0600, pat hayes wrote:
>Oh yes it does. It arises if we allow disjunctions (which are logically
>equivalent to implications, as Im sure you know) and negations; it arises,
>in fact, whenever it is possible to express any kind of contradiction. The
>only way to avoid it is to make it impossible for anyone to ever disagree
>with anyone else, by for example only allowing positive logic (no
>negations.) The problem with logics this weak is that it is very difficult
>to draw useful conclusions in them.

I've been cogitating a little about a related issue.  Would you accept a
rewording of the final sentence above:

   The problem with logics this weak is that they are very limited in the
   range of useful conclusions that can be drawn.

?

I think there are _some_ useful conclusions to be drawn from logics without
negation, etc.

#g

Graham Klyne                       Content Technologies Ltd.
<Graham.Klyne@mimesweeper.com>